Translation Services

This is a little insane. But I`m working on a screenplay that needs a couple of key words in foreign languages. But research is hard, and I`m rilly, rilly lazy, so I thought I`d start by seeing if any readers spoke these languages and could help me out.

I need

• “red crescent” in Arabic
  • “red crescent” in Farsi
  • “wild onions” in Hindustani

Actually, I`m so dumb I don’t even know if what I want “wild onions” in is Hindustani. The character is a teenager from a wealthy family that left India when she was little. What language(s) would she be most likely to know?

Pretty arbitrary, I know. But that’s how wacky I am.

No Responses

1. supremegoddessofall says:

I need to know what area of India, because it makes a difference. There are around 100 languages spoken in India. I also need to know what religion.

Yeah yeah yeah! I would think in the North — Northwest or close to Kashmir would be cool — sorry I`m not naming prefects because I haven`t done the proper research yet. The more obscure-but-not-unlikely-for-an-emigre-to-know the better.

As for religion — lemme do some research before I posit. For once.

4. jayadev says:

If they were wealthy and left India when she was little,English is as good a guess as any for the language she`d be most comfortable in. Anyway, a common north Indian word (in many languages) for onions is “piaz” or “piaza”. (pronounced “pee-ahz” or “pee-ah-za”.

5. supremegoddessofall says:

depends on where in northwest india, but if they are hindus, the languages would most likely be: english, hindi, and punjabi

Swee-e-e-et. She does speak English first, but I want to know what language(s), if you said a phrase of it in front of her, she`d be like, “hey, I didn`t know you spoke so-and-so.” And she`d also be able to translate some of it. So it wouldn`t even necessarily have to be a language she was fluent in — just one she recognized and could fake her way through. Piaz!

7. Anonymous says:

Hey – just a lame-ass generic shout-out of gratitude – what a fun website/thing/mess/ting – yeah. Funny makes me happy!! Arizona loves you.

8. Nicole says:

Fuck ME. Sorry – forgot the name. Ye-ah.

9. Shestumbledin says:

So this is a story about a wild onion red crescent kind of merry mix up? The lone Indian woman I know is Christian and her name is Esther. She`s also gorgeous and brilliant, and still blushes when people talk about sex in mixed company. Does that help? 😉

10. jayadev says:

If they`re muslims, urdu would be likely; and I believe that piaz works in Urdu as well.

jayadev — is there possibly a term I could use for “wild onions”? I know this is the typical movie thing to do — use a consultant, get a straight answer, and then want a different answer. I guess I`m looking for a term that has enough length to it that it would really jump out at someone who heard it in the middle of English conversation — even if the person speaking it might be pronouncing it kind of weird. I deeply appreciate your guidance!

12. big grandpa jason says:

i think all people who have stubs for arms should be ablet o swim as far and as fast as they want and for as long as they want. who cares if it hurts and they`re saving babys it doesnt matter. all that matter s is that the limb that they lost was made of chocolate once and will never be made of chocolate again. end.

13. jayadev says:

I don`t know a good phrase for “wild onions”. sorry.

14. Ravi says:

Might be too late, but Hindi would probably be a safe bet for a north Indian family – most north Indians speak Hindi, in addition to whatever regional language. The word for “spring onions” (more literally, “green onions”) is “hara pyaz”(can also be spelled “piaz” – both are pronounced the same way – “huh-rah pee-yahz”).

It`s absolutely not too late! This plot point is the one thing preventing me from having this screenplay done and ready to read. I will use hara piaz! I`m so excited I may faint. Thank you!