Three Phenomena and Comedy Gold
I would like names for these:
- The compulsion to repeat a joke until it is acknowledged in some way, even if that reaction is irritation. Maybe this is self-explanatory. Maybe this is like how a joke cycles in and out of funny. In extreme cases eventually the joke becomes canon and you repeat it without being aware that it was ever supposed to be funny, like how thanks to my dad I say “Sicilian thing” instead of “thing.”
- The enjoyment derived from saying words slightly wrong. From LoLCats to kids saying the darndest things to Latka Gravis to Crentist — there is an inverted uncanny valley type graph for how funny language gets as it approaches grammatical correctness.
That reminds me.
Cinematic techniques that are always funny:
- 1. Entering and exiting frame
- 2. Parallel action — best
- 3. Off-camera dialog (or noise)
I will provide examples.