Tonsil Stones

Here’s a rilly gross public service announcement. Don’t read on if you ever want to eat ever ever again.

One day about seven years ago I felt like there was a little hard bit of food sitting on the back of my tongue. Like, good job chewing and swallowing, you sorta missed a bit there. But swallowing and drinking doesn’t make it go away. Okay, let’s look in a mirror — stick out the tongue, there’s nothing there. Weird.

But I keep feeling it. Time to take a finger (wash it first) and stick it back there to see what’s up. Ooh, there’s a white piece of something on my tonsil — we`ll just scrape that off…

Looks kinda like this `til the disgusting starts.

OH MY JEEBUS LORD WHAT`S ALL THIS WHITE STUFF? It looks like a spider laid eggs in my face!

Ew ew ew ew ew. Palpate all that stuff out — not that much really, not more than the size of a sunflower seed, wouldn’t freak me out if it weren’t COMING OUT OF MY THROAT.

Said I, I will tell no one of this. No one.

Then a coupla weeks ago it happened again. This time with a little sore throat so I thought I was coming down with something at first. But no. Way grosser.

So I ran this by my sister, who’s a doctor, and without batting an eye told me this was food buildup in my crypts. Crypts? Tonsil crypts. Tonsil stones.

This information is part of an ongoing series of conversations with my sister where I learn terms like pessary, circumcision restraint board and disseminated intravascular coagulopathy, which shares an acronym with “death is coming.” (This reminds me of a friend’s EMT mom who referred to the passenger and driver side of a vehicle as “the bleeding side and the crying side.” When you see enough blood and innards, you get a mite cynical, I reck`.)

There’s an explanation of them which is terribly accurate and soothing at Dr. Greene.com so you know I`m not making it up. Among the highlights:

Microscopic studies of these tonsilloliths [tonsil stones] have shown them to contain a combination of food particles, bacteria, oral debris, and white blood cells in a concentrically laminated pattern — rather like a pearl. Usually they are small gritty particles found in the center of soft, cheesy flecks. Sometimes, however, they become quite large, appearing as rough, yellow or gray, round stones. At times they reach an extraordinary size.

EW. Fortunately mine, while not smelling like roses, didn’t make me want to fall over and die, so mad points for me. I was making people pearls!

Has this happened to you? Did you think you were alone? Did you think SPIDERS laid eggs in your FACE?

Or no?

163 Responses

1. I always spent my half an hour to read this weblog’s articles all the time along with a cup of coffee.

2. Hello Thetoryparty,
    Along the same lines,, In order to deal with and avoid tonsil-stones you first needs to figure out what they are. The tonsils are structures that are terribly much like glands that are found at the back of the throat. Each one aspect of the throat homes a tonsil and tonsils possess tissue that is prepared up of cells labeled as lymphocytes that are there to avert as nicely as fight any infection that invades the mouth.
    BTW great blogpost

3. metalchickxx says:

eww.
    i got one today and i thought i had a disease or somthing lol
    EWW

4. jessi says:

man some of this is really weird , i have been smoking for a long time and i thought i had cancer , maby i do but this is really weird.

5. Sigred says:

Oh you Brits are funny! I think the best method is to get a dropper (medicine dropper) and suck some hydrogen peroxide H2O2 into it, and with a light and mirror release (drop) some in a crypt or if it’s already poking out, on the tonsillith. It should dissolve and make it easier to pop out, or if it seemed like an empty crypt, stuff may come out of it!! I can’t believe I’m sharing this–it’s like a weird underground cult, lol. Tonsils bleed easily so be careful with all that poking with sharp things!

6. Patricia says:

OMG. Thank God for this website. I had been freaking out over this dang white thing on my tonsil for a few days now. I’m so glad i finally googled it. WOO! I’m not alone in this world! Thank You so much for solving my nasty little problem.
    Now i’m going to perform surgery on my own mouth… weird.

7. Marjie says:

I get these things every once and a while and such a pain… disgusting odor in my mouth, and dr told me i may have to get my tonsils removed if reoccuring.

8. Anthony says:

WOW!!! I never knew there were other people that had ths problem like me. Im glad I finally googled the little guys on my tonsil. And ya about the whole dairy thing I dont think thats the way to solve it because I get these little guys every year and I cant have dairy because Im lactose intolerrant. 🙁 but I will for sure try the toothpick trick. And ya I hate the smell as well. I always just drank lots of nyquil and brushed about 10 times a day when they would pop up that worked.

9. This welll give a hint on how you well recover your tonsil stones.
    And how to rid on it.This sites sells E book about how to recover
    your tonsil stones or what we calledtonsilloliths.

tonsil Stones

10. Tk says:

I had tonsil stones for years, noticed the crypts would get worse if I drank acidic drinks like pop so I stuck to water. Added to this, I had recurrent tonsilitis and 4 days ago I finally got my tonsils removed. I heard that this will not stop the stones from comin but i’m keeping my fingers crossed though.

11. becky says:

oh well bloody hell!! i’m laughing my head off reading the comments because i really did think i had the most incredible rare disease going!!
    my doctor give me anti-biotics and i have to go back next week…..the drama queen!!
    im just going to keep picking at it untill i win the battle!!
    =]=]

12. Lishie says:

Thank goodness I read this!!! I just saw the white spot about 3 hours ago and I was freaking out!! I have never had that before. But I followed what many people did and just took it out (but I used tweezers). Now I have a hole in my tonsil. Im still scared something will happen…let’s hope nothing happens! Thanks everybody for posting what you did…it really helped!

13. Candace says:

for the longest time i couldnt figure out what was on my tonsil, i thought death was approaching. i was so afraid and yes i did feel alone. Thank god i read this. =)